Medical Director – Hematology
Reporting to the Vice-President–Medical Affairs, the incumbent provides scientific and medical expertise in his or her fields of competence to Héma-Québec’s departments and units. He or she plays a monitoring, consulting and support role in transfusion medicine within the organization and offers hospitals consulting services in the matter. He or she is called on to represent the organization and influence standards and policies on a national and international scale in matters of blood transfusion and stem cell transplants.
More specifically, the Medical Director–Hematology is responsible for:
- Ensuring the quality and safety of processes and techniques used for the donor, recipient and staff from a medical standpoint.
- Acting as a resource person for the medical community, hospitals and donors with regard to transfusion, blood donation and the use of blood products.
- Providing consulting services for high-complexity clinical laboratories in immunohematology and other medical fields within his or her expertise.
- Ensuring that Héma-Québec physicians maintain their competence in the field of transfusion medicine in order to ensure quality services during medical duty periods and to meet the specific and evolving needs of Héma-Québec and hospitals.
- Participating in the safety committee made up of international experts in the field.
- Representing Héma-Québec in dealings with various external stakeholders and experts in regards to issues related to his or her area of expertise and contributing to its outreach in the scientific and medical community by participating in meetings, committees, conferences, seminars and congresses.
- Participating in the planning of needs regarding blood components and the diagnostic and therapeutic services of Québec hospitals.
- Ensuring the maintenance, development and dissemination of medical knowledge and know-how in Héma-Québec’s various areas of activity.
- Seeing to the development and production of studies, research projects and scientific publications;
- Maintaining and improving the training program offered by Héma-Québec to hematology-oncology residents and transfusion medicine fellows.
- Providing donors with the required medical opinion regarding the identification by Héma-Québec of particular features of their blood.
- Replacing the Medical Director–Stem Cells as needed.
- Performing medical duty services along with his or her colleagues.
Degree in medicine with specialization in hematology or a related medical specialization, with a particular interest and expertise in transfusion medicine.
- Minimum of 10 years of relevant experience, including several years in clinics, teaching and management.
- Member in good standing of the Collège des médecins du Québec.
- As a person of high integrity, you foster trust and rely on collaboration.
- Focused on results and diligence, you establish a special relationship with all of the clientele served.
- You demonstrate leadership and independence.
- Excellent communicator in French, both written and spoken, and very good knowledge of English.
- Ability to lead effective group discussions and meetings in both languages.
- Available to travel within Québec and occasionally outside of Québec and Canada.
For candidates who so desire, Héma-Québec is willing to allow the possibility of dedicating one day per week to clinical activities, so long as this does not interfere with the performance of the incumbent’s duties at Héma-Québec.
All interested candidates should contact Roselyne Zombecki at 514-832-5000, extension 5471 or submit their applications, accompanied by a cover letter and their curriculum vitae, by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or on-line at www.hema-quebec.qc.ca.
Héma-Québec is committed to the equal access employment program and invites women, Aboriginal people, members of visible and ethnic minorities and persons with disabilities to apply.