Louis Thibault, Ph.D.
Director, Operational Research
- Improvement and validation of blood component manufacturing processes
- Evaluation of commercial technologies aimed at optimizing the safety and quality of products shipped to hospitals
- In vitro analyses of blood and blood components
- Contamination of blood components and cord blood
- Quality of blood components during storage
- Process automation Influence of processing methods on the quality of blood components
- Microbial safety of blood components
Evaluation & Optimization Group (EOG)
The work of the Operational Research team focuses on five key objectives:
- Evaluating commercial products that allow to improve the safety and quality of blood components manufactured by Héma-Québec
- Optimize the efficiency of blood component manufacturing processes through the development of novel methods
- Validation of manufacturing processes
- Manufacturing specialized products for use by Héma-Québec laboratories or for administration to hospital patients
- Notifying operations departments about methods that can improve procedures and quality of products supplied to hospitals
Examples of recently completed projects:
- Production of plasminogen concentrate eye drops for the treatment of ligneous conjunctivitis in plasminogen-deficient patients
- Validation of a closed-system cell processor for red blood cell washing
- Impact of deviations from generally accepted storage temperatures on the quality and contamination of blood components
- Study of bacterial growth inhibiting activity in cord blood
- Evaluation of automated phasmapheresis apparatus
- Study of microparticles in plasma and platelet concentrates intended for transfusion
- Study of variation in microRNA levels in packed red blood cells during storage
- Optimization of an automated device for reducing cord blood volume
- Optimization of the operational parameters of blood centrifugation
- Study of the influence of blood processing methods on the immunomodulatory properties of red blood cells intended for transfusion
- Methods for processing blood into components
- Technology assessment
- Biochemical and functional analysis of platelets and red blood cells
- Process validation and optimization
- Bacterial contamination
- Monoclonal antibody production
- Development and validation of immunochemical and biochemical assays
- Boudreau LH, Duchez AC, Cloutier N, Soulet D, Martin N, Bollinger J, Paré A, Rousseau M, Naika GS, Lévesque T, Laflamme C, Marcoux G, Lambeau G, Farndale RW, Pouliot M, Hamzeh-Cognasse H, Cognasse F, Garraud O, Nigrovic PA, Guderley H, Lacroix S, Thibault L, Semple JW, Gelb MH, Boilard É. (2014). Platelets release mitochondria serving as substrate for bactericidal group IIA-secreted phospholipase A2 to promote inflammation. Blood (Blood) 124 (14): 2173-2783.
- de Grandmont MJ, Ducas É, Girard M, Méthot M, Brien M, Thibault L. (2014). Quality and safety of red blood cells stored in two additive solutions subjected to multiple room temperature exposures. Vox Sang (Vox Sanguinis) 107 (3): 239-246.
- Cayer MP, Girard M, Fournier D, Delage G, Thibault L. (2014). Antimicrobial activity in cord blood units: occurrence and levels of antibiotics. Transfusion (Transfusion) 54 (10): 2505-2513.
- van der Meer PF, Reesink HW, Panzer S, Wong J, Ismay S, Keller A, Pink J, Buchta C, Compernolle V, Wendel S, Biagini S, Scuracchio P, Thibault L, Germain M, Georgsen J, Bégué S, Dernis D, Raspollini E, Villa S, Rebulla P, Takanashi M, de Korte D, Lozano M, Cid J, Gulliksson H, Cardigan R, Tooke C, Fung MK, Luban NL, Vassallo R, Benjamin R. (2014). Should DEHP be eliminated in blood bags? Vox Sang (Vox Sanguinis) 106 (2): 176-195.
- Thibault L, Beauséjour A, Jacques A, Ducas É, Tremblay M. (2014). Overnight storage of whole blood: Cooling and transporting blood at room temperature under extreme temperature conditions. Vox Sang (Vox Sanguinis) 106 (2): 127-136.
- Levin E, Serrano K, Devine DV; Biomedical Excellence for Safer Transfusion (BEST) Collaborative. (2013). Standardization of CD62P measurement: results of an international comparative study. Vox Sang (Vox Sanguinis) 105 (1): 38-46.
- Delage G, Thibault L, Strobl F. (2011). Workflow analysis and performance evaluation of an automated blood testing system. IVD Technology (IVD Technology) 17 (4): 44-49
- Germain M, Thibault L, Jacques A, Tremblay J, Bourgeois R. (2010). Heart valve allograft decontamination with antibiotics: impact of the temperature of incubation on efficacy. Cell Tissue Bank (Cell and Tissue Banking) 11 (2): 197-204.
- Robitaille N, Delage G, Long A, Thibault L, Robillard P. (2010). Allergic transfusion reactions from blood components donated by IgA-deficient donors with and without anti-IgA: a comparative retrospective study. Vox Sang (Vox Sanguinis) 99 (2): 136-141.