How to participate?
- Volunteers at collection sites
- Blood drive organizer
- Telephone recruiter at one of our call centres
- Association of Blood Donation Volunteers
Volunteers at collection sites
Mobile blood drives and donor centres
A number of volunteers are on site at collection sites to assist our staff. Each of them performs a specific duty with donors.
The duties assigned to volunteers can vary from one drive to another. Here are some examples:
- recruiting donors;
- assisting donors through the various stages of the donation process;
- distributing snacks after a donation.
I want to sign up
If you want to do some volunteering at the collection sites, we encourage you to contact us by filling out the registration form or by calling 514-832-5000, ext. 5162 (Montréal and western Québec region) or 418-780-4362, ext. 2245 (City of Québec and eastern Québec region).
What should I expect?
Discover the volunteering path, step by step.
- Let us know that you are interested by filling out the registration form or calling us.
- Assigning of a drive:
- Depending on the drives arranged in your region, we will offer volunteering opportunities to you based on your interests and availability.
- On collection day, our team will greet you and guide you through the various duties that you will be assigned over the course of the day.
Depending on your availability and schedule, there are two ways that you can get involved:
- Longer-term volunteering:
- Do you want to devote yourself to the blood donation cause in a longer-term way? We’re always looking for volunteers who want to be regularly involved with our teams.
- Ad hoc volunteering:
- Whether for a single or multiple drives, it’s possible to make an ad hoc commitment to the blood donation cause.
Due to the blood drive schedule, we’re looking for volunteers who are available during the day during the week.
Volunteers sought by city
Depending on the upcoming blood drives, volunteers might only be needed in some specific regions. However, just know that our needs are ongoing and that your interest is valuable to Héma-Québec.
Your city isn’t listed below? Fill out our registration form and we will contact you as soon as volunteers are needed in your area!
We are currently seeking volunteers for:
Blood drive organizer
Organizing a blood drive is an opportunity that is offered to everyone.
You can join several other people (fellow citizens, friends, colleagues, members of your community organization) to organize a community or corporate blood drive, or even to organize one in an academic setting.
One of our blood drive advisors will help you plan, set up and conduct your blood drive, as well as answer all of your questions. All materials are provided to you.
Organizing a blood drive is a meaningful, fulfilling and formative experience. It is vital for maintaining the blood supply. Our society needs you!
Would you like to organize a blood drive? To find out more...
Telephone recruiter at one of our call centres
Due to the pandemic, it is temporarily impossible to register for being a call centre volunteer. This measure has been put in place to prevent non-essential travel and to ensure the safety of Héma-Québec’s volunteers and staff.
Some volunteers help our telephone recruiting team make calls to Quebecers to encourage them to donate blood. In more specific terms, volunteers contribute by calling donors whose names are already listed to advise them of a blood drive in their area.
Telephone recruiting is conducted from two call centres (one in Montréal and the other in Québec City).
Montréal Call Centre
- Monday to Thursday: 9 a.m. to 8:30 p.m.
- Friday: 9 a.m. to 6:30 p.m.
- Saturday: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Sunday: closed
Québec City Call Centre
- Monday to Thursday: 8 a.m. to 8:30 p.m.
- Friday and Saturday: 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Sunday: closed
If you would like to volunteer to be a telephone recruiter or for more information about the program, we invite you to contact us.
Association of Blood Donation Volunteers
Since September 1998, Québec blood donors and volunteers have been represented by the Association of Blood Donation Volunteers (ABDV).
The ABDV has several regional chapters made up of volunteers and donors. Its principal mission is to support donor recruitment and promote blood donation in partnership with Héma-Québec.
Anyone interested in blood donation can become a member.
Volunteers aged 70 or over
Héma-Québec commends the commitment and generosity of people aged 70 or over for wanting to help by getting involved in the cause of the gift of life. However, we ask them to comply with the instructions issued by the Québec government to stay home and not go to one of the collection sites to volunteer there.