100 more blood donations are needed each day: Héma-Québec is asking blood donors to book appointments in large numbers in June
Montréal, June 2, 2020—Héma-Québec is launching an appeal to blood donors to schedule an appointment to give blood in June to restore the reserve to its optimal level in preparation for the summer season. As activities gradually resume in Québec and the demand for blood products in the province’s hospitals increases, 100 more blood donations will be needed each day, over and above the 1,000 donations normally required.
Héma-Québec has made changes to its practices due to the COVID-19 pandemic and now requires everyone who wishes to make a blood donation to book an appointment by calling 1 800 343-7264 (SANG) or sending an email to email@example.com. To check the dates of upcoming blood drives in your area, go to Héma-Québec‘s website or call 1 800 343-7264.
Extensive safety measures have been deployed at all collection sites to ensure that giving blood is a safe experience. Protecting the safety of donors, volunteers and employees is a top priority, and Héma-Québec has applied the following strict measures:
- Access controls at collection sites with temperature checks taken of all donors, volunteers, and employees prior to entering the site;
- Disinfection of the screens used to administer the blood donation qualification questionnaire, as well as of the collection beds;
- A review of the logistical organization of blood drives to comply with distancing measures;
- The addition of acrylic panels in all collection sites;
- The mandatory wearing of a surgical mask, provided by Héma-Québec, for all blood donors during the time spent at the collection site, as well as for all employees and volunteers who, by the nature of their duties, must work closer than the established limit of two metres of physical distancing.
Héma-Québec’s mission is to efficiently meet the needs of the Québec population for quality blood and other biological products of human origin.
Héma-Québec encompasses 1,300 employees and nearly 240,000 blood, stem cell, mother’s milk, and human tissue donors, in addition to thousands of blood drive volunteers. Each year, Héma-Québec delivers some 750,000 human biological products to Québec hospitals to meet the needs of patients.
Give blood. Give life.
– 30 –
Media line | 514-832-0871