Press releases 2016
- Named a Good Samaritan by the Canadian Organ Donors Association: Héma-Québec congratulates Gaston Martin
Montréal, October 25, 2016
Héma-Québec congratulates one of its pre-eminent volunteers for an honour highlighting his long-term work for the cause of human organ and tissue donation. Gaston Martin, a member of Héma-Québec’s Recipient Representatives Advisory Committee and a dynamic organizer of blood drives, was named a Good Samaritan by the Canadian Organ Donors Association (CODA) during a ceremony held on October 21, in Sherbrooke.
- 300 mother’s milk donors needed
Montréal, October 18, 2016
Héma-Québec’s Public Mothers’ Milk Bank is intensifying its activities to recruit mothers from the metropolitan communities of Montréal and Québec City. In order to attain the objective of 500 participants each year, the organization is looking for 300 additional donors.
- Inauguration of the PLASMAVIE-GLOBULE centre: 50 more donors invited to roll up their sleeve every day
Gatineau, September 21, 2016
Héma-Québec is making the most of the ceremonies highlighting the start of the activities of the PLASMAVIE Plasma Donor Lounge and the GLOBULE Blood Donor Centre in Gatineau to launch a new appeal to blood donors in the greater Gatineau region.
- Héma-Québec is taking part in an international blood donation awareness-raising movement
Montréal, August 16, 2016
Héma-Québec has joined its voice to an international movement intended to raise public awareness of the importance of giving blood. During a week, the letters A, B and O will be erased from the organization’s summer advertising campaign. Loyal partners of the cause will do the same, particularly the Journal de Montréal and the Journal de Québec, the Fondation Héma-Québec and the Association des bénévoles du don de sang.
- Health Canada – Québec City facility pass inspection
Québec City, July 6, 2016
The Héma-Québec facility in Québec City have successfully passed annual inspection. Health Canada has therefore renewed its Establishment Licence. This annual audit process ran from May 9 to 12, 2016.
- Men Who Have Sex With Men – Modification to the eligibility criteria for donating blood as of August 15, 2016
Montréal, June 20, 2016
Health Canada has responded favourably to requests submitted by Héma-Québec and Canadian Blood Services and has reduced the temporary exclusion period for donating blood for men who have sex with men (MSM).
- Gatineau and surrounding area – We need arms
Gatineau, June 15, 2016
Héma-Québec must reach 500 donations per week at its Gatineau PLASMAVIE-GLOBULE Plasma and Blood Donor Lounge by March 31, 2017. But with only 30% of the objective reached two and a half months after the donation centre opened, it is clear that Héma-Québec is in need of arms if the Bellehumeur Street centre is to meet its target.
- National Blood Donor Week – Blood needs won’t be taking a vacation this summer
Montréal, June 13, 2016
Héma-Québec is taking advantage of National Blood Donor Week, being held from June 13 to 19, to recognize the invaluable contribution of the 160,000 or so donors and 16,000 or so volunteers who share their health and their time to save lives.
- New blood donation centre – 500 donors expected each week at Gatineau
Gatineau, April 21, 2016
Just days after the opening of the PLASMAVIE Plasma Donor Lounge and the GLOBULE Blood Donor Centre in Gatineau, Héma-Québec is launching a recruitment call for donors.
- National Organ and Tissue Donation Awareness Week – Sign for Life!
Québec City, April 17, 2016
During National Organ and Tissue Donation Awareness Week, on now until April 24, Héma-Québec would like to re-emphasize the importance of signing the organ and tissue donation consent form that comes in the mail with your health insurance card renewal notice and letting your family know what your wishes are.
- PLASMAVIE Sherbrooke: a blood donation experience to discover in Estrie
Sherbrooke, March 15, 2016
Héma-Québec is officially launching the PLASMAVIE Plasma Donor Lounge activities in Sherbrooke. Estrie donors, who are already very invested in the cause of blood donation, now have a complementary alternative to mobile blood drives.
- Health Canada – Montreal facility and Laval GLOBULE Blood Donor Centre pass inspections
Montreal, February 11, 2016
From November 30 to December 9 2015, Health Canada conducted its annual inspection of the Montreal facility as well as the Laval GLOBULE Blood Donor Centre, following which their establishment licences were renewed.
- Zika Virus and other similar viruses – Héma-Québec implements a new measure to ensure the safety of blood products
Montréal, February 3, 2016
Starting Sunday, February 7, blood donors returning from trips abroad will have to satisfy a new blood donation eligibility criterion. This measure concerns not only the risks associated with the Zika virus, but also other similar viruses. It applies in particular to Dengue fever and Chikungunya.
- Blood donation – The contribution of the Black communities has increased significantly, but the need is still great
Montréal, February 1, 2016
Héma-Québec is making an effort to reach out to more donors in the Black communities. More than 4,050 donors from these communities have responded to the appeal to date, rolling up their sleeves to contribute to the collective blood supply.
- Héma-Québec launches a stem cell donation awareness campaign in the Bas-Saint-Laurent region
Rimouski, January 18, 2016
Héma-Québec is taking advantage of the blood drive organized by the Syndicat des pompiers de Rimouski to launch a stem cell donation awareness campaign in the Bas-Saint-Laurent region.
- 350 plasma donors still sought in Sherbrooke
Sherbrooke, January 7, 2016
Days before the planned opening of the PLASMAVIE Plasma Donor Lounge in Sherbrooke on January 29, Héma-Québec is launching a new appeal for the still needed 350 donors in order to reach the 1,000 registration mark to achieve the centre’s initial recruitment goal.