Press releases 2013
- Inauguration of the PLASMAVIE Plasma Donor Lounge
Trois-Rivières, December 12, 2013
Trois-Rivières is home to a Québec first. Local donors, who are already deeply committed to giving blood, are now being invited to donate plasma, a blood product in high demand across the province. As such, they are urged to visit the brand-new PLASMAVIE Plasma Donor Lounge, the first facility of its kind.
- Dr. Jean De Serres honoured by the ESG UQAM Alumni Association
Montréal, November 13, 2013
Yesterday evening, the ESG UQAM Alumni Association honoured Dr. Jean De Serres, CEO of Héma-Québec, at its 2013 Gala Prix Performance recognizing graduates with outstanding careers.
- Construction of the C∙LAVIE complex in Québec City
Québec City, September 12, 2013
Héma-Québec, Québec City and the Government of Québec announce the construction of the C∙LAVIE complex, a cell production facility representing an investment of $21.5M that will be built in the Michelet innovation space within the territory of Québec City.
- 1,000th donation by a blood donor in the Québec City area !
Quebec city, September 3, 2013
Jean Bernier, a 60-year-old blood donor living in the Québec City area, made his 1,000th blood donation today at the GLOBULE Blood Donor Centre, located at the Laurier Québec shopping centre.
- First public cord blood bank in Canada saves more and more lives!
Montréal, August 26, 2013
The only public cord blood bank in Canada, operated by Héma-Québec since 2004, has increased its activities at a sustained pace since last year and is producing interesting results, both nationally and internationally.
- New Members on Héma-Québec’s Board of Directors
Montréal, June 17, 2013
The Chair of Héma-Québec’s Board of Directors, Ms. Martine Carré, is pleased to announce the nomination of three new members to Héma-Québec’s Board. The Government of Québec has appointed Ms. Christine Beaubien, Ms. Lucie Letendre and Ms. Monique Laliberté.
- National Blood Donor Week – Give the gift of life: donate blood!
Montréal, June 10, 2013 – Héma-Québec makes the most of National Blood Donor Week, which starts today and runs until June 16, to remind the public about how important giving blood is in the lives of thousands of people.
- Québec will have a mothers' milk bank in Spring 2014
Montréal, May 29, 2013
The National Assembly has adopted Bill 29 modifying the Act respecting Héma-Québec and the haemovigilance committee, giving the green light for the creation of a mothers' milk bank.
- Man who had sex with man - Change to the Blood Donor Eligibility Criterion effective July 22, 2013
Montréal, May 22, 2013
Responding favourably to the requests of Héma-Québec and Canadian Blood Services, Health Canada has approved a change in the permanent blood donor exclusion criterion for a man who had sex with a man. In a few weeks, the permanent exclusion will be changed to a temporary one and will apply to Quebec and all other Canadian provinces.
- Héma-Québec congratulates Dr. Francine Décary
Montréal, May 6, 2013
Héma-Québec congratulates Dr. Francine Décary, the guiding force of the organization from 1998 to 2011, on being inducted as an Officer of the Order of Canada last Friday. A scientific researcher and dynamic manager, Dr. Décary quickly propelled Héma-Québec to the forefront of excellence.
- National Volunteer Week - Volunteers: making a vital contribution to Héma-Québec's mission
Montréal, April 25, 2013
National Volunteer Week, which runs until April 27, highlights the importance of the people who make the donation of blood, stem cells and even human tissues possible.
- National Organ and Tissue Donation Week - Give a second breath to an ill person: Sign for Life!
Montréal, April 22, 2013
In Québec, 90% of the population claims to support organ and tissue donation, yet only 50% of people indicate their consent. Meanwhile, thousands of people waiting for transplants suffer or die as a result of a shortage of donors. For this reason, during National Organ and Tissue Donation Week, Héma-Québec reiterates the importance of signing the organ and tissue donation consent form and informing your loved ones about your decision.
- An Act to Amend the Act Respecting Héma-Québec and the Haemovigilance Committee : Héma-Québec positioned to meet emerging needs and pursue its mission
Québec City, April 17, 2013Héma-Québec today presented its main recommendations concerning Bill 29—An Act to Amend the Act Respecting Héma-Québec and the Haemovigilance Committee—to the members of the Québec National Assembly Committee on Health and Social Services.
- Dr. Gilles Delage, recipient of the AMMI Canada Distinguished Service Award
Montréal, April 9, 2013
On Thursday, April 4, Dr. Gilles Delage, Héma-Québec’s Vice-President of Medical Affairs – Microbiology, received the Distinguished Service Award atthe AMMI Canada (Association of Medical Microbiology and Infectious Disease Canada) – CACMID (Canadian Association for Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases) Annual Conference, which took place in Québec City between April 4 and 6.
- Health Canada – Montréal facility and Place Versailles GLOBULE donor Centre pass inspection
Montreal, April 4, 2013
From November 13 to 23, 2012, Health Canada conducted its annual inspection of the Montréal facility as well as the Place Versailles GLOBULE blood donor Centre following which their establishment licence were renewed.
- Minister Réjean Hébert announces the introduction of a bill to set up a breast milk bank
Québec City, March 27, 2013Réjean Hébert, Minister of Health and Social Services and Minister Responsible for Seniors, today announced the introduction of a bill to amend the Act Respecting Héma-Québec and the Haemovigilance Committee, the purpose of which is to allow Héma-Québec to create a public breast milk bank.
- 22nd edition of Black History Month - Encouraging results : the contribution of Black communities to the blood supply remains a major challenge
Montréal, January 31, 2013
Black History Month is a time for Héma-Québec to remind people about the vital contribution of the Black communities to the collective blood supply and to stress the importance of increasing its diversity. The efforts put forth since 2009 to promote the cause of blood donation in these communities are paying off. More than 1,700 donors have answered the call so far, a 71% jump from last year.
- Globule and New internal facility
Montréal, 27 January 2013
Héma Québec announces the opening of a first GLOBULE Blood Donor Centre on the South Shore of Montréal at the end of 2013. Together with this new establishment will be the opening of another Héma-Québec operational support facility in Brossard in the coming months.
- Health Canada : Québec City establishment pass inspections
Québec, January 25, 2013The Héma-Québec facility in Québec City have successfully passed annual inspection. Health Canada has therefore renewed is Establishment Licence. This annual audit process ran from September 10 to 14, 2012.
- A first in Québec: Trois-Rivières chosen as the future site for a new type of blood collection centre
Trois-Rivières, January 22, 2013
Héma-Québec has chosen the city of Trois-Rivières as an introductory site for a new type of donor collection centre intended exclusively for the collection of plasma, a blood component for which demand is growing rapidly.
- Jean-Pierre Allaire, Chairman of Héma-Québec's board of directors, has passed away
Montréal, January 11, 2013
It is with sadness and regret that we learned that Mr. Jean-Pierre Allaire, Chairman of Héma-Québec's board of directors, passed away yesterday, January 10.